Q3: Week 2 – Archive
Week of 2/9 – 2/13
2/9 – Monday – period 7 –
I am out again due to the stomach flu again!
1: RAT 36 – IUPAC Naming.
2: Continue working on naming sheets.
Any questions please chat me here:
1: 4 pages of naming sheets due Wednesday!!
2: Please watch lecture below on intermolecular forces (forces of attraction between molecules)
3. Answer a few questions below in the form:
a: Molecule ion attractions
b: Polar forces (dipolar forces)
c: London forces (weak)
d: H – bonding
2/10 – Tuesday – period 7/8
1: RAT 37
2: Lab 12 completion/Conclusion questions
3: IMF – Intermolecular attractions
I have posted the key to todays RAT in powerschool.
Drop a second RAT Questions:
1. Which of the following chemicals has polar bonds but only has weak (London) Forces?
e) None of the choices are correct
2. Which chemical has H-Bonds?
e) None of your choices are correct
3. What is the name of Fe2(SO4)3?
a) iron sulfate
b) iron (III) sulfate
c) iron (II) sulfate
d) iron (III) sulfide
e) None of the choice are correct.
4. Why does I2 sublime?
a) It has weak intermolecular forces
b) It has strong dipolar attractions
c) It has weak H-Bonds
d) It has weak molecule ion attractions
e) None of the choices are correct.
5. What is the chemical formula ammonium carbonate?
e) None of the choices are correct
6. Which of the following has the strongest IMF?
7. What type of attractive forces occur when lead (II) sulfate dissolves in water.
a) molecule ion attractions
b) weak (London)
c) dipolar forces
e) H – bonding
8. What part of the water molecule is attracted to the lead ion in question 7?
a) positive oxygen end of water molecule.
b) negative end of the water molecule.
c) positive hydrogen end of the water molecule.
d) negative hydrogen end of the water molecule.
e) none of the choices;
9. Which statement explains why Br2 is a liquid at STP and I2 is a solid at STP?
a)Molecules of Br2 are polar, and molecules of I2 are nonpolar.
b) Molecules of I2 are polar, and molecules of Br2 are nonpolar.
c) Molecules of Br2 have stronger intermolecular forces than molecules of I2.
d) Molecules of I2 have stronger intermolecular forces than molecules of Br2
e) i dunno
10. The bond between which two atoms is most polar?
a) Br and Cl
b) Br and F
c) I and Cl
d) I and F
e) I love purple flowers and Forms!
11.Given the formula representing a molecule:
The molecule is
a) symmetrical and polar
b) symmetrical and nonpolar
c) asymmetrical and polar
d) asymmetrical and nonpolar
e) Chemistry is fun
12. Base your answer to the question on the information below.
Given the balanced equation for dissolving NH4Cl(s) in water:
Which graphic below shows the correct orientation of each water molecule when it is near the Cl– ion in the aqueous solution?
13.If the electronegativity difference between the elements in compound NaX is 2.1, what is element X?
14.A chemist performs the same tests on two homogeneous white crystalline solids, A and B. The results are shown in the table below.
|Solid A||Solid B|
|Melting Point||High, 801°C||Low, decomposes
|Solubility in H2O
(grams per 100.0 g H2O at 0°C)
(in aqueous solution)
The results of these tests suggest that
- both solids contain only ionic bonds
- both solids contain only covalent bonds
- solid A contains only covalent bonds and solid B contains only ionic bonds
- solid A contains only ionic bonds and solid B contains only covalent bonds
2/11 – Wednesday – period 7
CAT 11 –
2/12 -Thursday – period 7/8 – DOG 6 – Bonding
2/13 – Friday – period 7