_________________________________________________________________ Introduction – Regents Chemistry
“The first day of class should connect to the last day and every day in between!”
This is a course in Regents Chemistry. The coursework includes the standards from the NYS Board of Regents, Physical setting, Chemistry and some concepts beyond the scope of the NYS standards
Ok so let’s get started on how this course is a bit different than Living environment.
1. Chemistry is different in that not all students from Living Environment enter Regents Chemistry. Some fail or decide not to take a more rigorous course.
2. Living Environment is more of a vocab course while Regents Chemistry is more of an application course.
3. Living Environment is geared to tangible concepts that you experience everyday, while Regents Chemistry is geared to abstract concepts that you cannot see and observe directly.
4. Chemistry has a lot of math, especially algebra.
5. Also there is the difference in the scoring rubrics.
Living Environment June 2023 Scoring Rubric:
Passing = 41 /85 = 48% correct gives you a 65!
You pass if miss more than half of the questions!!!!
Regents Chemistry June 2023 Rubric:
Passing = 50 /85 = 59% correct gives you a 65!
Generous but not nearly as much as Living Environment.
You also need 9 more correct answers (50 compared to 41) on a harder test to pass!
Here is my grading Rubric:
Quarter Grade: 10% average of all Quizzes or Homework assignments (Forms)
30% average of all Labs
60% average of all Tests