SUMMER INSTITUTE – Module 10 – Electrochemistry
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Jump to: Activity 1, Activity 2, Activity 3, Activity 4, Activity 5, Activity 6, Activity 7, Module Test
Module 10 – Redox and Electrochemistry –
5 hours – due Sept. 1st!
* Connections – In the last module we looked at elements that gained and lost electrons to become ionic compounds. The loss and gain of electrons that occurs in chemical reactions is called Redox Reactions.
– Metals oxidize because they hold onto electrons weakly due to their:
Put reduction and oxidation together and you get REDOX.
This transfer of electrons is what makes ionic compounds!
Introduction to Redox
Activity 1: SKILL – Assigning Oxidation numbers
1 : Lecture 4.2 – Assigning oxidation numbers
Activity 2: SKILL : Writing Simple Half Reactions:
1 : Smaller scale Thermite reaction –
1: Larger Scale Thermite reaction –
2: Simple Half Reactions Lecture –
Activity 3: SKILL: Writing and Balancing Complex Half Reactions (College Level):
1 : Nitric Acid Copper Demo-
2 : Lecture 4.7 – Balancing Redox Reactions – College
Activity 4: SKILL: Reduction Potentials, Net Potential and Spontaneity
2. Complete the form below based on the 2 lectures and the virtual lab posted above it.
1 : Pre Net Potential Lecture: The Push and pull lecture. The ability of chemicals to push and pull electrons can cause redox reactions to occur (spontaneous) or not to occur (non spontaneous). Voltage and Amperage are defined.
Activity 5: SKILL: Using Reduction Potentials to Determine Net Potentials and Spontaneity
2 : Copper tin Demo:
Activity 6: SKILL: Voltaic Cells (batteries)- Spontaneous Redox Cells.
1 : Lecture 4.8 – Voltaic Cell – Screencast
2 : Voltaic Cell Demo –
4 : Lecture 4.9 –
Activity 7: Skill – Voltaic Cell – AP Problems – Advanced
2 : Review of the Advanced Redox AP Problem
Module Test 10 – Redox and Electrochemistry
– available below
END OF MODULE 10 and the Summer Institute!
4. Lab 4 Honors Calorimetry of a Cheese Curl Institute.pdf View Download
5. LAB 5 honors -Cooling curves of an unknown substance.pdf View Download
7. Assigning oxidation numbers 1011.pdf View Download
8. half reactions worksheet 1112.pdf View Download
9. Redox balancing redox equations AP regents.pd View Download
10. Net potentials Demonstrations worksheet 1112.pdf View Download
11. voltaic cell worksheet 07.pdf View Download
14. Module 10 Test.pdf